Monday, January 23, 2012

Portal layer 4 and 5

Started simplifying the composition in an attempt to regain a connection to the subconcious that is "automatic drawing." There were earlier decisions that continued to dictate how the piece was evolving. I felt as if I had taken a wrong path and couldn't find my way back. It became about some mark I had made earlier that I was now trying to save because I feared obliterating it. I found that I must not force some kind of narrative and let the process and the surface speak for themselves. This left me at layer 4. I was satisfied by the repetition of circular shapes and how they came forward in both contrast of value and line. Then in layer 5, this earlier set of marks again held me back. So, I mixed a deep charcoal black, this time adding pthalo blue and veridian. Using my favourite sumi brush, I began to lay out a new composition, trying to capture the energy of the moment and the release of intention. I think it's done.


No comments:

Post a Comment