Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Last Day 2012 mixed media on canvas 18 x 20

So I was reading that Donati was using vacuum lint to create areas of texture in his early paintings. Decided to try this. There was a suprising quantity of hair (human and pet) in it. I was first turned off by this. Mixing it with oil and medium was quite gross. Decided to add moss and dirt to the mix to give it more texture. Still found it unappetizing. Decided to let it dry to see how I felt about it. Felt like I had ruined it as I checked on it over the next week. Was about to throw it away in frustration. Decided to give it another go after watching a documentary on Rothko and feeling inspired by his reds; decided to mix a very deep, oily red. The result is a very wet, angry looking shape, part beating heart and part meteor. It reminded me of a giant meteor blotting out the sun while the spider-like shape recoils and vainly grasps at that waning sun. The earth splits into deep chasms ready to swallow everything up. Decided to call it "The Last Day."

No comments:

Post a Comment